Gluten is a protein present in wheat, barley, rye. This is the tough protein which binds the dough together to prepare and bake breads and other baked foods. Gluten is found in cereals, breads, pasta, and beer etc.
There are four proteins in wheat, rye and barley. They are albumin, globulin, glidin, and glutenin.
Gluten allergy is a common allergy; many people who have gluten allergy do not realize it as the symptoms may be mild.
Symptoms of Gluten Allergy are
- Skin rash: soon after eating gluten containing food, the person prone for gluten allergy may have hives and skin rash all over the body. There may be associated itching and redness all over the body.
- Swelling of lips and face is common symptom of gluten allergy.
- Abdominal cramps after eating gluten containing food such as bread and pasta etc.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Diarrhea or constipation.
- Bloating and indigestion.
In some cases the symptoms are life threatening giving rise to breathlessness and low blood pressure.
Gluten intolerance is an autoimmune disorder, it is also known as celiac disease.
Gluten Containing Foods to Avoid
- Wheat, barley rye, Bread, pasta, cereals, Biscuits, bagels, crackers, Gravies containing wheat flour, Malt, beer, whiskey, ice cream cone and ice cream.
Gluten Free Food List
Vegetables, fruits, nuts, dry fruits, quinoa, millet, buckwheat, meat, eggs, fish, olive oil, yogurt, sugars, jams, coffee, tea, salt, spices, sunflower oil.