Incorporating salads in your diet is considered to be very beneficial for health Romaine lettuce is considered be one of the best salad ingredients which is associated with a host of health benefits ranging from stimulating fat loss, lowering cholesterol levels and improving muscle strength. This article provides information about the health benefits and the nutritive value of Romaine lettuce and why it should be included in your routine diet.
Romaine lettuce is considered to have several health benefits, which is largely attributed to its nutritive value. Some of the interesting facts about romaine lettuce nutritive value include,
- One cup of romaine lettuce comprises of one gram protein, two grams of carbohydrates and provides for 4% of the daily dietary requirement for fiber.
- In addition, one serving of romaine lettuce supplies with 82% of the daily dietary requirement of Vitamin A, about 60% of daily requirement Vitamin K and about 16-19% of dietary requirement of Vitamin C and folate.
- In addition, romaine lettuce also provides for 2-3% of daily dietary requirement for minerals like calcium, magnesium, potassium, zinc and iron.
Calories In Romaine Lettuce
One cup of romaine lettuce provides 2 grams of carbohydrates, which is equivalent to 8 calories of energy. This low calorie content of this salad makes it one of the best choices to lose weight. While being low in calorie count this salad is loaded with a host of other nutrients which add profound value to overall health and the weight loss process.
Health Benefits Of Romaine Lettuce
Most of the health benefits associated with the regular consumption of romaine lettuce depends upon the nutrients supplied by it. Some of the key health benefits of regular consumption of romaine lettuce include the following,
- Beta-carotene and Vitamin C supports a healthy heart as they prevent oxidation of cholesterol, prevent atherosclerosis and thereby reduce risk of myocardial infarction and stroke. Folic acid also plays a crucial role in preventing blood clotting and keeps the blood vessels healthy and reduces risk of stroke and cardiac infarction.
- Potassium helps regulate blood pressure and prevent cardiac disease. Further potassium also helps strengthen the muscles.
- The high concentration and supply of vitamin K is beneficial in treatment of a host of blood related disorders caused due to poor bleeding and clotting time. Further vitamin K also helps strengthen the liver functions and enhances liver health.
- Fiber helps in lowering cholesterol levels, fights constipation and helps treat indigestion and also reduces the risk of developing colon cancer.
- Further, the food is low in calorie count and hence stimulates weight loss and helps burn down extra calories. Also the high fiber diet creates satiety which reduces appetite and aids in weight loss.
- In addition, romaine lettuce contains a host of other nutrients and minerals which play a crucial role in enhancing overall health.
- Regular consumption helps improve skin tone and is considered beneficial in fighting acne. It is also considered beneficial in treating conditions ranging from osteoporosis to arthritis.