Boredom is a condition which is associated with unhappy or unsteady state of mind which can interfere with our ability to concentrate, focus, be creative, etc. Boredom can also result in lower energy levels which can be manifested in the form of tiredness and non-desire to perform routine day to day functions.
What Causes Boredom?
There is no clear definition of boredom while it is associated with a wide range of characteristics. Boredom is a universal phenomenon and affects almost all individuals at some time in their lives, however experts believe that boredom is strongly connect to our mental processes and the way we think and act. In simple terms, scientists from the York University have defined boredom as ‘an aversive state of being unable to engage in any form of satisfying activity’. While it may be difficult to exactly pinpoint the root cause of boredom, there are certain factors that can trigger boredom,
- Monotony or repeatedly performing the same activities each day can often result in boredom due to lack of novelty in life.
- Stress both physical and mental can have a negative influence on the brain’s internal attention network and can trigger an episode of boredom
- Boredom can also be associated with some form of grief as a result of repeated failure or loss of something very special
- Some experts suggest that the environment may also trigger boredom, for example inadequate exposure to sunlight or an overcast weather for several days can also trigger boredom.
What to Do To Kill Boredom?
It is very important to deal with boredom, especially since boredom can be lead to serious accidents on work or even mortality. Here are some tips that can help kill boredom,
- Socialize and interacting with your friends and family can help you get over your boredom. Instead of watching television alone, invite your friends over to have some fun.
- Inculcate a hobby like reading a book, singing or dancing. This will keep your mind active when you don’t have anything to do and also help you avoid an episode of boredom
- Surfing the internet to fine information or to read new online can also help you get over your boredom for a while. However, if there is something specific that you want to look for, this activity can keep you engaged and help you fight boredom
How to Get Rid Of Boredom
Here are some simple tips that can help get rid of boredom,
- Go out for a walk. Staying cooked up in the house for prolonged period can also lead to boredom
- Take a break from your routine work. Try something new for a few days. Go out for a vacation, this will help you recharge your energy levels.
- Involve yourself in some form of charity work. Doing something good for others will make you feel good about yourself and help you overcome your boredom.