Occasionally, one may complain of having a shaky, strained, tremulous voice. It may come on suddenly, or may come about gradually. Ascertaining the cause and managing it promptly is essential.
Various reasons could trigger a shaky voice. One’s voice may sound strained, shaky, tight, choked, or whispery. In case, there are spasms, the spasms can disturb the sound, squeezing the voice to almost nothing or dropping it to a mere whisper.
Common causes of a shaky voice include:
- Sore throat, laryngitis or an infection.
- Spasmodic dysphonia (SD).
- Nervousness and fear.
Associated Symptoms Of Shaky Voice
- In case the strained, trembling voice is due to an infection (laryngitis); there will be certain associated features such as, a sore throat, fever, cold and cough. These accompanying symptoms will help make the diagnosis.
- Nervousness and anxiety are seen in those who suffer from stage fright. Apprehension is linked to a shaky voice.
- People with spasmodic dysphonia (SD) primarily perceive a gradual or a sudden commencement of difficulty in talking. Initially, there may be breaks in the voice when certain words are spoken, breathy sounding pauses on certain words, or a tremulous shaking of the voice is seen.
How To Stop Your Voice From Shaking?
First and foremost, you need to understand the cause of the condition. Discussing with your health care provider is a must.
- If you have a sore throat, the infection needs to be managed promptly; and this will help deal with the shakiness of the voice, almost immediately.
- Various forms of treatments are obtainable to help allay or control the symptoms of the vocal spasms on a temporary or permanent basis. Whilst these do not tackle the underlying neurological dysfunction in the person, they provide adequate symptom relief to allow the person to reclaim control of and enhance the quality of his voice.
- Managing spasmodic dysphonia successfully can be approached with a single or a combination of treatments, since, no one strategy is suitable for every case. By and large, treatment for voice disorders falls into 3 categories: speech therapy, medicine, and surgical intervention. Persistence and patience are crucial whilst tackling spasmodic dysphonia, and understanding the most optimal treatment for each person entails putting in time and a team effort between the patient and the specialists.
- In case the shaky voice is because of nervousness and apprehension; follow these guidelines, they have proved to be decidedly beneficial. You need to learn how to control your breathing. A shaking voice is triggered due to an irregular breathing. Take deep breaths and slow down your breathing, try to regularize your breathing pattern. Breathe deeply, with the support of your diaphragm.
- Only when you breathe in this manner, you will be able to take control of your uneasiness and anguish. Shallow breathing increases stress and nervousness. Aim to show confidence and power in your voice tone. Tell yourself of your good communication skills. You are more than capable of getting your point across without having a shaking, whispery voice; so stop your nerves by keeping this in mind before any speech or overwrought situation.