Muscular contractions are observed as the body attempts to respond to cold weather. Muscular contractions are attributed to reduced circulation of the blood to the extremities and the face, which in turn result in chattering of the teeth. Chattering of the teeth is different condition compared to Bruxism, which is associated with grinding of teeth.
What are the Causes of Teeth Chattering
There are a few factors that are responsible for chattering of teeth,
- Exposure to excessively cold weather without adequate clothing can result in teeth chattering. Teeth chattering is a normal response to cold by the body
- A tooth chattering is also associated with fever. During fever the normal thermostatic system of the body becomes dysfunctional or is altered in response to a bacterial or viral infection. This is often associated with chattering of teeth
- Anxiety and apprehension is also associated with chattering of teeth. Chattering is considered to be a sign of fear and is common in children.
Does Stress Causes Teeth Chattering?
High level of stress often associated with performance anxiety can result is considered to be responsible for chattering of teeth.
Home Remedies to Stop Teeth Chattering
There are some home remedies which might be helpful in management of teeth chattering,
- St John’s Wort is considered to be a herb which is beneficial in having a soothing and calming effect on the brain. This can help reduce chattering which is associated with anxiety and fear. St. John’s Wort is often used for the management of mild to moderate forms of depression
- Valerian is another herb which has shown to reduce anxiety especially based on studies and clinical trials. The action of Valerian is quick and rapid and it often takes less than half an hour to show positive effects. It helps in calming the nervous system and also helps in effective management of anxiety
- Nutrients and supplements play a crucial role in management of anxiety. Vitamin B12 is essential for nerve health. Milk and milk products, meat and egg are loaded with Vitamin B12 and should be included in regular diet.