Aminoglycosides are basically a class of antibiotic used for serious bacterial infections. This type of medicine works by inhibiting bacterial growth or killing the bacteria.
There are different types of antibiotics belonging to the class of aminoglycosides. These include gentamicin sulfate, amikacin sulfat, streptomycin sulfate, tobramycin sulfate, and neomycin sulfate.
Aminoglycosides Side Effects
- Not all people taking aminoglycosides suffer from the medicine’s side effects.
- Side effects that are commonly experienced include dizziness and unsteadiness, urine output changes, increased thirst, decreased appetite, muscle twitching or seizures, vomiting, and nausea.
- Side effects that are less commonly experienced include skin rashes, fever and chills, shaking, difficulty breathing, drowsiness, weakness and maybe even blindness.
- Some side effects may still continue or appear even after discontinuation of the medication. When this occurs, the individual should report to his or her physician.
Aminoglycosides Adverse Effects
- When aminoglycoside levels in the body exceed then norm, this can lead to different adverse effects that cannot be reversed or even fatal.
- All aminoglycosides are capable of causing renal toxicity, vestibular and auditory toxicity, and prolongation of effects of neuromuscular blockers.
- Renal toxicity is often reversible. This can be achieved once the medication is discontinued.
- Symptoms of kidney toxicity are decreased urine output, increased thirst, tachycardia or elevated heart rate, decreased appetite, and dizziness.
- Unlike renal toxicity, ototoxicity is irreversible. A damaged ear can result from “ear poisoning”.
- Symptoms of ototoxicity include loss of hearing, dizziness or unsteadiness, ear fullness, lightheadedness and extreme sensitivity to head movements.
- Age is an important factor when it comes to experiencing side effects or adverse effects.
- Children and aged patients are especially sensitive and commonly experience side effects.
- Children and aged patients taking aminoglycosides should be closely monitored.
- The individual should approach his or her doctor when experiencing either side effects or adverse effects from taking aminoglycosides.
Also see Liquid Chlorophyll Benefits