Bone grafting is a surgical process that intends to replace a bone or a material to reconstruct a broken bone by supplying materials to the spaces between, around, or into the holes of the bones to assist the body in its healing process.
Bone Grafting Procedure Cost
- The different types of bone grafting procedures include autografts or the use the patient’s own bones, xenografts or the use of animal’s jaw bones and allografts, or the use of bones from human donors that are then grafted onto the jaw bone or the area that needs bone grafting.
- Laboratory tests such as X-rays, computed tomography (CT) scan, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) will be conducted to check the affected area and the extent of bone damage.
- Medical experts who conduct bone graft operations are usually neurosurgeons, periodontistsorthopedic surgeons, otolaryngology head and neck surgeons, craniofacial surgeons, and oral and maxillofacial surgeons.
- Surgical bone grafting cost depends on many factors; it can be as little as $250 to as high as $25,000.
Risks of Bone Grafting Surgery
- Bone grafting oral surgery, like any other surgical procedure, exposes the patient from potential bacterial contamination and other forms of infections, but they are normally not serious and can be treated easily with immediate diagnosis.
- Pain on the site where the graft was taken
- Pain that could last up to two years after the surgery
- Potential bone incompatibility
- Potential transfer of diseases by the donor to the patient
- Difficulty of the grafted bone to incorporate with the host bone