Metabolism is a mechanism involving several chemical reactions in the body for maintaining life. It is the process in which the food we eat is converted into energy for the purpose of every bodily function. Hence metabolism has close link with nutrition that we consume. Production of energy is one of the prominent aspects of metabolism.
Metabolism is affected by several factors such as age, sex, hormones, size of the body, and your activity. Normally at young age metabolism is fast but as we age, metabolism becomes slower. Usually metabolism starts becoming slower after the age of 30. This may have huge impact of our weight management, energy level, and overall health.
Ways to boost metabolism after 30 years of age:
To boost metabolism is not a difficult task, simple dietary changes, making changes in lifestyle, and increasing physical activity are sufficient. Here are more precise tips to elevate your metabolism after the age of 30.
- Drink green tea: The antioxidants and stimulants present in green tea are effective in stimulating metabolism. Drink one or two cups of green tea in a day after the age of 30.
- Avoid skipping your meals or breakfast.
- Eat small quantity of food at a time but at frequent intervals. Keep a gap of 3 hours between two meals. Take 3 large meals and 3 smaller meals in a day.
- Physical activity: Stay physically active. Exercise daily for at least 30 to 45 minutes. Walking, swimming, cycling, mountain climbing etc are some of the simple activities.
- Include green leafy vegetables and fruits in your diet if you want to leg up your metabolism.
- Increase your water intake. Drink at least 7 to 8 glasses of water in a day. Drinking water increases the rate at which the calories are burning.
- Eat cayenne pepper. It contains capsaicin which is known to increases thermogenesis. Generation of heat in the body is beneficial to boost metabolism.
- Drink warm water mixed with one teaspoon of lemon juice in the morning before taking breakfast.
- Eat eggs as it contains many vitamins and minerals that help to boost metabolism.
- Reduce stress level as it hampers proper metabolism in the body. Practice yoga and meditation to relieve stress. Take breaks between your work schedules.
- Eat adequate amount of protein in your diet.
- Spend at least 15 minutes in sunlight. You get natural vitamin D from sunlight. Lack of vitamin D results in slow down of metabolism and accumulation of fat. Adequate vitamin will help in increasing metabolic activity.