Boswellia serrata extract is a medicinal herb obtained from a tree called boswellia serrata or Indian frankincense. It is used for treating anti-inflammatory diseases and other respiratory, muscular, and skeletal diseases. Other benefits of this herb include:
Benefits Of Boswellia Serrata Extract
- Boosts up the immune system
- Relieves pain
- Relaxes bronchial passageway which is good for asthmatic persons
- Lowers cholesterols
- Has anti-parasitic properties
- Treats diarrhea and dysentery
Side Effects of Boswellia Serrata
The known boswellia side effects are few, and they are the following:
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Heartburn or acid reflux
- Stomach aches
- A feeling of fullness
- Skin rashes
- Burning sensations on the skin
- Contact dermatitis for individuals with allergies
Safety Precautions While Using Boswellia Serrata
- Using boswellia serrata is generally safe, but individuals who intend to take boswellia extracts whether orally or for topical applications should consult a doctor for proper dosage and drug administration.
- The herb can be obtained in liquid extracts and in 300mg to 400mg capsule forms. Their concentrations vary so a doctor’s proper medical advice is needed.
- Boswelllia serrata is not advisable to be taken or used by pregnant or breastfeeding women because there are cases wherein pregnant women suffered spontaneous abortion while infants suffered some birth defects.
- Individuals who are allergic to plants belonging to the burseraveae family should not take or use boswellia serrata topical cream to avoid suffering from allergic reactions such as burning skin rashes.