Care ought to be taken while introducing solid foods to the baby. The baby takes time to adjust to new foods. Constipation in babies is known to occur, thus, carefully choosing solid foods and planning the diet are essential.
Constipation in Babies Starting Solids
- For babies, the ideal time to start solid foods is when he is 6 months old.
- Mother’s milk can be supplemented with semi-solid and solid foods after 6 months.
- Irregular bowel movement and / or constipation after embarking on solid foods are not unusual initially. It is understandable that solid foods take more time to digest than breast milk. After you have introduced solid foods, passing motions once in 2 – 3 days is normal.
- Parents need not worry or contact the pediatrician. Hard stools, straining and constant crying during defecation are signs of constipation.
Constipation in Babies Remedies
- First and foremost give the baby sufficient time to adjust to the changes. Give foods with exact consistency at particular times.
- For a 6 to 7 month baby, give semi-solid food with a smooth consistency.
- 7 to 8 month old baby can be given soft and easy-to-chew foods
- 9 to 12 month old baby should be introduced to healthy finger foods and thick lumps
- One year old baby is well acquainted with solid foods and bowel habits. Regular family menu with less seasoning may be fed to the baby.
- To have regular bowel movement, ensure that you feed the baby plenty of healthy liquids.
- Rice-based foods are invariably the first solids introduced. They contain less fiber; hence, the baby may have difficulty in passing motions. Foods that may cause constipation are: Â banana, peanut containing foods and egg yolk.