What Foods to Avoid with Diverticulitis
Diverticulitis is the irritation of the pouch or sac located in the intestinal tract. Its symptoms are similar to irritable bowel syndrome, and individuals who are affected with this health situation are advised to avoid certain foods that could worsen the condition.
Things to Avoid With Diverticulitis
- Spicy foods or those that contain large amounts of chili peppers since they can further inflame the intestinal tract
- People with diverticulitis are also advised to avoid junk foods.
- Seeds and nuts are also foods to avoid with diverticulitis. Nuts such as pumpkin, sesame seeds, sunflower, and caraway are typically difficult to digest and could intensify the disease.
- There are also certain vegetables to avoid with diverticulitis such as kale, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and other vegetables that are considered cruciferous.
- Corn and other corn products should also not be taken by a person with diverticulitis because they can worsen the signs of this condition.
- Avoid foods that have high fiber content such as beans, whole grains, and lentils.
- They should be avoided at all times. Substitute whole grain breads and products with rice, refined pasta or white bread.
- You should also avoid eating canned or processed foods.
- Junk foods such as fries, burgers and pizza, or any other foods found in food junctions and fast food chains because they are typically greasy or oily and can aggravate the condition.
- Avoid foods that are difficult to digest such as squid.