Gastric ulcer is erosion in the inner lining of the stomach. Gastric ulcer is more common in males, it predominantly occurs between the age of 50 to 65 years.
Persons who take anti inflammatory drugs are more vulnerable to gastric ulcers. Besides, it is also common in alcoholics and people who are immensely under stress and anxiety.
Causes of Peptic Ulcer
- Antiinflammatory drugs.
- H.pylori bacteria.
- Increasedacid secretion.
- Alcoholand tobacco.
Symptoms and Location of Gastric Pain
- Painin the epigastrium, below the breast bone or in the middle of upperabdomen.
- Burningand gnawing pain.
- Paincan be pin pointed with one finger.
- Paingets relieved by antacids.
- Painawakens the patient in the middle of night.
- Vomitingand nausea.
- If theulcer is bleeding, vomit may contain bright red blood.
- Stoolsare black and tarry.
Diagnosis is confirmed by proper history and endoscopy.
Gastric Ulcer Pain Relief
- Modern medicine practitioners recommend antacids, H2 receptor antagonists, antispasmodics and antibiotics to eradicate H.Pylori infection.
- Certain precautions and home remedies are also useful in treating gastric ulcer symptoms.
- Milk which is alkaline in nature counteracts the acids in the stomach.
- Indian gooseberry contains vitamin C, and it helps to neutralize the excess of acid secretion and thus the gastric pain gets relieved.
- Yoga and meditation relieves stress and anxiety.
- Liquorice derivatives accelerate the healing of gastric ulcer.
- Avoid spicy food.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeinated drinks.
- Eatingrice gruel is beneficial in healing of gastric ulcer and the gastric pain.
Also see Stomach Ulcers in Children