There are many different reasons why women decide to put off pregnancy until later in life. It can be because of work, financial readiness, or even emotional readiness. Whatever the reason, one thing holds true and that is there are many difficulties when it comes to getting pregnant after the age of 40. It may be difficult but it is still possible for women to get pregnant after 40 naturally.
Odds of Success for Pregnancy Over 40
Several studies have shown that two-thirds of women over the age of 40 experience fertility problems. Research has shown that approximately 5 percent of women over the age of 40 get pregnant in any single ovulation. It has also been studied that the chances of conceiving after 40 is around 40-50%.
Many women often ask the question “is it safe to get pregnant after 40?” There are many risks a woman puts herself and her baby when getting pregnant after the age of 40 but there are also ways to help reduce these risks and aid a safe and healthy pregnancy.
Also see Simple Ways to Get Pregnant
Tips On Getting Pregnant Naturally
Perhaps the best way to get pregnant after 40 is to do it naturally. In order to get pregnant at this age, the woman must be in good physical condition.
- Stop taking the pills. There are women who return to their menstrual cycle a month after ditching the pills.
- Take folic acid supplements. Folic acid helps reduce the risk of serious birth defects affecting the brain and spinal cord of babies.
- Quit any vices such as smoking, drinking, drugs, and even caffeine. These not only diminish the chances of getting pregnant, it also increases the risk of birth defects, miscarriages, and more.
- Women who have the right weight for their age and height get pregnant easily than women who are under- or overweight.
- Manage stress effectively. Depression can hinder a woman’s fertility.
- Women should make their vaginas as sperm-friendly as possible.
- Observe a sexual position conducive for pregnancy. The woman should also elevate their hips after intercourse with a pillow for approximately 15 minutes.
- Timing is important. Women should know when they are most fertile.
Also see Best Time to get a Girl Pregnant & Foods and Vitamins for Conceiving