Hand eczema is a skin ailment that is characterized by itching, skin eruptions and occasional oozing.
Hand Eczema Causes
- Genetic predisposition is an important cause. It is also linked to a family history of hay fever / asthma.
- It may be an allergic reaction to certain chemicals, cosmetics, soaps, shampoos, perfumes, jewelry or food.
- A scratch on the can get infected and result in eczema.
- Extreme sweating causes eczema.
Hand Eczema (Dermatitis) Home Remedies
- First and foremost you need to identify the offending agent / allergen causing the eczema. Then, steadily avoid it.
- Step up your intake of vitamin A, in supplement form or consume natural food sources such as: carrots, spinach, papaya, tomatoes, etc.
- Vitamin E is another important nutrient to fight eczema. Internal as well as external application is beneficial.
- Papaya is a very useful remedy. Mash papaya seeds and apply the paste on to the affected areas of skin. It helps ameliorate the eruptions and manages the itching.
- Turmeric has also been used to treat eczema. Make a paste with 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder mixed with 1 tablespoon of pounded bitter neem leaves. Apply this paste. It yields favorable results.
- Most importantly, keep the skin well hydrated. Drink plenty of water everyday and moisturize the skin daily. Avoid synthetic moisturizers though. Natural oils, like coconut oil, almond oil or wheat germ oil are recommended. They prevent drying of the skin and help in the process of healing.
Also see Acute Eczema Treatment