What are Nasal (Nose) Polyps?
Nasal polyps are soft, fleshy swellings that grow inside the nose. Although these polyps are often very small, they do affect the olfactory function. These could lead to loss of smell, difficulties in speech and singing, and headache or facial pain. The problem is, the causes of nasal polyps are currently still unknown so that there is no easy way to prevent them from occurring.
Do Nasal Sprays Provide Relief from Polyps?
- Yes, nasal sprays do provide relief from polyps. These sprays give short term relief in symptoms due to nasal polyps.
- Patients who use the nasal spray have greater reduction in nasal congestion.
- Still, nasal spray is effective in some patients and not in others. The reason for this is that there are those people who have advanced conditions that only surgery can correct. Nasal sprays will not be effective for them, anymore.
What Sprays are Commonly Used to Treat Nose Polyps?
- Among the first options for treatment of nasal polyps are steroid nose drops or sprays.
- These prevent further growth of the polyps; thus, they are often used for long periods of time.
In fact, many patients with nasal polyps will have to continue using the spray for life unless the polyps are removed.
Side Effects Of Nasal Polyps
- Nasal sprays and nasal drops are used when polyps cause difficulty in breathing. These are usually corticosteroid sprays, but due to their side effects they can be used for a short duration, besides they may damage the nasal passage. This is the thought that some physicians believe.
- Still, many other physicians believe that nasal spray can be used for a longer time. They also believe that nasal sprays have many advantages over surgery for the treatment of nasal polyps.
- Because of the differing opinions among physicians, it is necessary to use nasal sprays under medical supervision.
Natural Herbal Cure For Nose Polyps
Many patients are afraid to be dependent on steroidal nasal sprays. Also, these nasal sprays could cause unwanted side effects. The following herbal home remedies are quite useful for polyps relief:
- Olive leaf
It is also a good idea to modify lifestyle and diet so as to ensure that the polyps will not increase in size and number.