Follicle stimulating hormone, more commonly known as FSH, is an important hormone both for men and women. The hormone plays an important role in reproduction. FSH regulates normal menstrual cycle in a woman and helps the ovaries to produce eggs. While in men it regulates sperm count.
The hormone FSH is secreted by anterior pituitary gland in the brain.
FSH also plays an important role in normal development of secondary sexual characteristics during puberty. Fluctuations of this hormone may cause delayed puberty.
Normal FSH Levels in Women
- Normal level of FSH is between 3 to 10mIU/ml, the levels change during ovulation, pregnancy and menopause.
- High levels of FSH are observed during ovulation and in post menopause period. It becomes one of the diagnostic criteria for infertility and polycystic ovarian syndrome in a woman.
- Low levels of FSH are observed during pregnancy, in a woman who is on contraceptive pills or in conditions related to hypothalamus such as a tumor.
How To Reduce FSH Levels in Women
- If a woman faces high level of FSH as a problem for her infertility, there are natural ways which she can try to decrease FSH level. Acupressure and acupuncture helps to improve blood circulation to the ovaries. Diet supplements containing blue-green algae, wheat grass can help to decrease FSH level.
- Your medical health care provider may suggest some medicines to lower FSH level, which you can discuss it out with him for an overall treatment plan.
Also see Normal Testosterone Levels in Men and Women