What Are Probiotics?
Generally, the colon contains a few friendly bacteria that help digestion of food, assimilation and also protect the mucus lining of the gut. Acidophilus is found in the intestinal tract and the vagina. It is considered decidedly beneficial and useful for the body. It also synthesizes vitamin K and lactase.
Are There Any Probiotic Acidophilus Side Effects?
- Side effects to the probiotic acidophilus occur in cases of serious medical conditions. By and large, this bacterium does not cause any adverse effects.
- Minor effects such as: mild abdominal bloating and discomfort, gas formation, diarrhea, etc., may manifest, but they soon pass off. However, the body gets rid of the harmful bacteria and re-instates the colon with the friendly bacteria acidophilus.
Also see Sorbitol Side Effects
What Are The Side Effects Of Probiotic Acidophilus?
- People sensitive to lactose, may experience abdominal discomfort, pain or diarrhea after they consume dairy products which are loaded with probiotic acidophilus.
- In women, excessive intake of supplements containing the probiotic bacterium may cause burning in the vagina.
- Those suffering from cardiac diseases and those who have artificial heart valves, should not take the supplement, since this bacteria may lead to valvular infection.
- Those having a compromised immune system (like AIDS / cancer), may develop severe blood infection if they take acidophilus supplements; thus, they are advised against taking them.
- Those having intestinal damage / bowel surgeries may develop excessive bloating and pain in the stomach and colon.
Also see Side Effects of Liquid Chlorophyll & Ill Effects of Grenade Fat Burner