Why Must You Cut Down Your Daily Salt Intake?
Salt increases the risk of developing a host of disorders. A diet that is high in sodium is fraught with a lot of risks; you are liable to develop high blood pressure, heart attack, atherosclerosis, cardiac failure, gastritis, kidney stones, stroke, and osteoporosis.
Salty Foods to Avoid
Here is a list of certain foods that contain large quantities of sodium / salt:
- Fast foods and take-away foods (pizzas, burgers, sandwiches, etc.) are loaded with salt, avoid them.
- Refined and processed foods are packed with salt / sodium as well. Steer clear of fried foods, chips, pretzels, canned products, etc.
- Processed meats like bacon, sausages, ham, corned meats, salami, smoked salmon etc., are packed with sodium.
- Instant food packages and ready to eat meals should also be avoided.
- Sauces like soy sauce, chili sauce, tomato sauce and soups have surprisingly high amounts of salt.
- Spreads like mayonnaise, margarine and salted butter are high in sodium.
- Breakfast cereals, breads, and biscuits should not be eaten in excessive quantities. In fact, a bowl of cornflakes generates sodium equivalent to a small packet of chips.
- Cheese, seafood, olives, and some legumes contain large amounts of salt.
- Over the counter medications are also known to contain high levels of sodium, thus, read labels carefully before buying medications.