Shoulder Massage Techniques
Shoulder massage therapy is best for persons who have been sitting for long period of hours working on a desk or in front of a computer. It should not be administered on persons with neck or shoulder injuries. The following are some techniques you can apply:
- Place your fingers and thumbs on the joints of the shoulders then apply pressure on it including the surrounding areas of the shoulders such as the neck and arms.
- Apply a small amount of herbal essential oil or balm for at least four times a day to get rid of shoulder pain.
- Apply hot and cold compress for 10 minutes alternately on affected shoulders.
- For effective self shoulder massage techniques, use natural or essential oils. The oils can provide relaxation and pain relief to stressed and tired muscles including getting vital nutrients needed by the body.
Shoulder Massage Tips
- In order to prevent stiffness of shoulder muscles, allow your body to get enough rest before working up again especially if it involves shoulder exercises.
- Eat a well-balanced diet to prevent shoulder pain. Your diet should consist of fresh fruits, green, leafy vegetables, eggs, white meat, and other protein-rich foods.
- Avoid working for prolonged hours especially in a sitting position.
- Take time to take a five minute break every hour on your daily activity.
- Exercise for at least three times a week.
- Avoid doing shoulder massage on injured areas.
- Check if you are allergic to essential oils before using it for your shoulder massage.