Sulfa drugs are antibiotics that comprise of sulfonamides that treat bacterial and fungal infections. Sulfa-containing antibiotics, as well as a host of other medications, such as, anti-inflammatory medicines, migraine remedies and diuretics tend to trigger an allergic response.
Sulfa Allergy Symptoms
The following are commonly occurring manifestations of a sulfa allergy reaction:
- Wheezing, breathing difficulties and chest constriction
- Stomach discomfort and nausea
- Itching and watering of the eyes
- Anaphylaxis is a life threatening situation, wherein, the patient has facial swelling, throat swelling, suffocation, vomiting and fainting.
- Immediate medical aid is a must.
- Prolonged use of Sulfa-containing drugs may even result in kidney failure.
Sulfa Allergy Rash
Some individuals tend to develop a skin after taking sulfa drugs. Sensitivity to light also occurs.
Sulfa Allergy Treatment
- Visit the physician instantaneously.
- The only treatment for sulfa allergies is discontinuing the drugs.
- Warn all medical health professionals of your condition.
- Be very cautious when buying drugs over the counter at the pharmacy. Make sure that your pharmacist knows about the allergy condition.
- While buying a particular medicine, verify with the pharmacist that the drug has not been replaced with a generic that is composed of sulfa.
- Be aware of what drugs could set off an allergic reaction.