Swollen lips in the morning are temporary, and there are several reasons why this happens. Lips are normally soft and protruding, with the lower lip a little larger than the upper lip. Its skin is not hairy and does not have sweat glands.
Causes of Swollen Lips in Morning
Causes are wide ranging and of different types depending on the cause of its occurrence.
- Side effects to certain medications
- Allergic reactions to excessive heat or cold
- Sensitivity to a particular food or beverage
- Viral infections
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Misalignment of teeth
Home Remedies and Treatment for Lip Inflammation
- Applying ice cubes wrapped in a towel is most effective regardless of the cause of lip swelling.
- Hot packs reduce accumulation of blood in the inflamed area.
- Aloe vera gel reduces swelling.
- Applying a mixture of Fuller’s earth, turmeric powder, and water on the area.
- Applying tea bag is also effective.
- Drinking lots of fluid helps to moisturize the lips and prevent it from drying.
- Balanced and healthy diet rich in vitamins B and C to avoid nutritional deficiencies.
- If due to food allergies, determine the food substances that caused the swell. It may include sources like lip balms and lip sticks.
- Drink sufficient amount of water to keep the lips moisturized.