Drooling is the term used to define as the flow of saliva from the mouth due to excessive saliva production, inability to retain saliva within the mouth, or swallowing problems. It is also known as driveling, ptyalism, sialorrhea, or slobbering. Drooling is a common problem among children. However, if after reaching the age of four years and the child still drools, it is considered abnormal.
Causes and Why Children Drool
Drooling is not a serious disorder unless your child drools excessively. Let’s take a closer look at some drooling causes in children:
- Infrequent and inefficient swallowing
- Lack of awareness of the build-up of saliva in the mouth
- Teething. When the child gets a new tooth, he will face a certain discomfort and starts drooling.
- Allergic rhinitis
- Cerebral palsy. This brain disorder is accompanied by loss of motor functions and involuntary spasms, thus there are chances of having excessive salivation.
- Bacterial infections, congenital lesions, viral infections, facial paralysis, and mouth disorders.
When do toddlers stop drooling? How to stop Babies drooling?
When do toddlers stop drooling? When do babies stop drooling? Time may be uncertain but, there the following are effective ways to help them:
- Straws to stop drooling children. Straws encourage children to develop control over their lower lip and other muscles on the face in order to stop them from drooling. The more extensive they work on controlling the muscles on their lower lip, the faster they will be able to solve the problem.
- Another great way to help the kids stop drooling is to have cotton ball races. The kids blow their cotton balls towards the finish line. It’s a great way to have fun with the kids.
- Another great way to help stop drooling is by blowing bubbles.
- Whistles as a lip control practice
- Making fishy faces or kissy faces is a fun and great way to help. Once again, giving them the skills necessary to control the drool.
- Peanut butter lip. This will be a great strength exercise.
- Drool awareness. You can help them increase their awareness with sensitive and gentle reminders that they are drooling and they should not be.