Broccoli is a green vegetable from Brassica family. The group also includes cabbage, cauliflower, kale, turnips etc.
Health Benefits of Eating Broccoli
- Among many beneficial properties of eating broccoli, its anti cancer property stands in forefront. This is because it contains a compound called isothiocyanate.
- This natural chemical in broccoli is considered to have strong anti cancer properties.
- It also has another anti cancer compound, called indole. This chemical found in broccoli helps to reduce the risk of hormone related cancer such as breast cancer.
- Various essential nutrients present in broccoli are: vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin B- complex, manganese, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, omega 3, iron, zinc and calcium.
- The nutrient value in raw broccoli is well preserved as compared to its cooking. This is because while cooking under heat many vitamins lose their potency. Therefore eating raw broccoli in salads or steamed lightly, broccoli is more beneficial.
- The antioxidants present in broccoli prevent heart disease. It also prevents or reduces the risk of hypertension.
- Elderly individuals who suffer from osteoporosis should eat broccoli regularly. It is a rich source of calcium.
- Health benefits of eating broccoli sprouts are 10 times more, compared to mature broccoli. The next time you think of eating broccoli in salads or sandwich, opt for sprouts of broccoli to gain more health benefits.
- The folic acid present in broccoli helps to prevent birth defects. Pregnant woman should incorporate broccoli in her regular diet.
- Benefits of juicing broccoli:
- Intake of broccoli juice helps in preventing peptic ulcer. It is an option for eating raw broccoli. Broccoli juice should be blended with other juices such as tomato juice or carrot juice for its added benefits.