What Is Dyslexia?
- Dyslexia is a condition of learning disability in children where the child finds difficulty in reading, writing, speaking. It is lifelong condition but the severity may vary from person to person. It may be mild in many individuals, while in few others the symptoms of dyslexia may be severe.
- Around five percent of total population may be suffering from dyslexia.
- Dyslexia is a neurological problem affecting the child where there is a difficulty in recognizing accurate word, proper ability to spell a word, relapses in memory and difficulty in solving basic math problems.
Symptoms of Dyslexia in Adults
- Symptoms of dyslexia in adults are same as that of child, but some of the symptoms disappear in adulthood such as flipping of letters and numbers.
- In most cases they disappear at the age of 6 to 8 years.
- It is difficult to recognize the symptoms of dyslexia in adults, because they become smart and conditioned to avoid the problematic area.
However some of the dyslexic symptoms in adults are:
- Poor memory
- Slow reading
- Difficulty in remembering the name or the sentence read recently.
- Forgetting the familiar direction from where he has come or where he has to go.
- Difficulty in understanding what he reads.
- He will not wear a watch with hour and seconds hand; instead he will try to wear a digital watch.
- Restless behavior without having a genuine cause.
Being dyslexic does not mean that the person is less intelligent, there are so many examples of famous dyslexic persons like van Gogh, Mozart, and Einstein etc, who have made to the top in their life. However such person will remain debarred of his true potential if he is left untreated.
Treatment for Dyslexia in Adults
- If the child is diagnosed early in life of dyslexia symptoms, it becomes easier for the parents and the child to cope in adulthood.
- Systemic study of phonics, use of computers, practicing yoga and meditation may also help for a dyslexic adult.
Through yoga, the adult may be able to realize and utilize his potential to the maximum.
- Meditation relieves stress from their life and helps in developing motor skills.