Focal seizure results from electrical disturbances in a part of the brain and is associated with symptoms which are related to movement, sensation, feeling and emotions controlled by the affected part of the brain.
Simple Focal Seizures and Complex Focal Seizures
In many cases a focal seizure starting from one location in the brain may spread to other parts of the brain and is referred to as generalized focal seizures.
Epilepsy is a form of focal seizure which may be simple or complex in nature
What causes Focal Seizures?
The causes of focal seizures depend upon the health of the brain and the nervous system. Seizures may be caused due to following,
- Drug toxicity: Certain types of drugs result in toxic effect on the nerves and are associated with seizures
- Tumor or pressure: Increased cerebrospinal fluid levels, brain tumor pressing on a particular part of the brain, hematoma due to concussion, etc are also common causes of focal seizures
- Deficiency of calcium, Vitamin B12 has also been found to be associated with seizures
- Hyperthermia or high fever is also associated with focal seizures
Focal Seizures Treatment
The treatment of focal seizures depends on the underlying cause.
- Calcium and Vitamin Supplements can effectively manage focal seizures associated with deficiency disorders
- Surgical intervention is mandated in cases of hemangiomas, blood clots or brain tumor
- Anti- Seizure drugs have been found to effectively manage focal seizures