There are various surgical modalities available in bariatric weight loss surgery for those who are dangerously obese. Lap band surgery is one such technique, which has gained popularity in many extremely American obese individuals. The other surgery is gastric bypass surgery.
In this article we will discuss lap band surgery.
Lap band surgery is performed in extremely obese individuals, who want to lose weight.
In this laparoscopic surgery, an inflatable silicone band or a ring is positioned on the upper part of the stomach. A small pouch of stomach is created leaving larger portion of the stomach below the band.
The food which is ingested goes into this small pouch. It allows only small amount of food at a time. The food then passes in the remaining portion of stomach in a very slow manner. This way it helps to restrict food consumption and slow emptying reduces hunger sensation. Gradual weight loss is achieved by eating less quantity and feeling less hungry and making you to feel full for a longer time.
Requirement for selecting lap band surgery in an obese person: it is not meant for every obese individual, there are some requirements which should be met with, before the surgeon selects you for a lap band surgery.
- The obese person should have a BMI (body mass index) more than or 40. A person who is having medical conditions such as diabetes, sleep apnea and has BMI between 35 and 40 can also be considered for lap band surgery.
- If the person weighs twice his ideal body weight or 50 kg more than the required ideal body weight.
- The person selected should be an adult; the age should be between 18 and 60 years.
- Obesity should be for 5 years and more than that period.
- Where Diet and exercise have failed to lose those extra fats.
- You are not an alcoholic.
- Sincerity and commitment is required in changing diet and life style.
- You should be willing for a proper follow up at various times when your lap band surgeon calls you for monitoring.
See more on Lap Band Complications
The cost of lap band surgery may vary from places to places, from the one surgeon to another. The approximate cost of lap band surgery is $15,000 to $20,000 in United States.
Also see on American Board Of Plastic Surgery