Level 2 ultrasound is a detailed and accurate study of the fetus. It is a targeted ultrasound which measures the baby from head to rump. It also helps in knowing the gestational age.
Your gynecologist may advise level 2 ultrasound during second trimester of pregnancy. I.e. 18 to 22 weeks of pregnancy, though it can be performed any time during pregnancy.
Ideally all women should conduct level 2 ultrasound tests, especially women carrying twins.
Benefits of Level 2 Ultrasound
- It is helpful in detecting developmental and genetic disorders.
- It aids in detecting Down’s syndrome, trisomy 18, trisomy13 etc.
- Level 2 ultrasound is useful when certain abnormalities are found in first ultrasound examination.
- The sex of the baby can be determined with level 2 ultrasound.
- The gestational age can be determined by level 2 ultrasound.
- It detects any abnormalities related to heart and kidney, delayed growth, chroid plexus cyst.
- In some cases the presence of genetic counselor is required during the examination.
Cost of Level 2 Ultrasound
- The cost will depend primarily on the place, the doctor performing.
- It can be done in a hospital or in a private clinic.
Accuracy of Level 2 Ultrasound
Accuracy of is dependent “time” when test is performed. Depending on the accuracy of the level 2 ultrasound, the further line of treatment is decided. If there are some abnormalities found, they can be rectified with medicine in early stage of the pregnancy.