Lexapro (escitalopram oxalate) is a prescription drug. It is serotonin reuptake inhibitor. It is indicated in acute and chronic depressive disorders and generalized anxiety disorder. As with any medicines, lexapro also has many side effects.
Lexapro Side Effects in Males and Females
- Difficulty in ejaculation.
- Dry mouth.
- Women faces orgasm problem.
Side effects that is not common but more serious.
- Suicidal thoughts.
- Anxiety and agitation
- Aggressive tendencies.
- Fluctuation in blood pressure.
- All the reflexes are over active.
- Dreams and nightmares.
- Decreased appetite.
- Tremors in hands and legs.
- Hives and itching on the body. Signs of allergic reaction.
- One of the possible side effects of lexapro is weight gain.
How to Avoid Side Effects of Lexapro
- If you are taking the medicine and you are noticing unexplained weight gain you can follow some easy way to reduce it.
- Eat healthy diet containing fruits, vegetables, fat free milk, grains and legumes.
- Fish, eggs, lean meat and poultry.
- Do not consume saturated fats, trans fats, and cholesterol.
- Limit alcohol intake.
- Do moderate exercise, yoga and meditation, early morning walk. If you are still gaining weight, consult your doctor at the earliest.
- Lexapro and hair loss: it is one of the side effects of the drug. Talk to your doctor, he may change the dose or he may prescribe any other medicine.
- In men and women lexapro can cause sexual dysfunction. Talk to your doctor, he may recommend some medicine for it.
Also see Diet and Weight Loss for Women over 50