Vitamins are vital components of the diet, and are indispensable for the normal functioning of the body. A deficiency of a particular vitamin causes a deficiency disease.
There are several vitamins, and each one plays a pivotal and crucial role in the working of the body.
The vitamins are divided in to 2 categories:
- Water soluble: vitamins B and C.
- Fat soluble: vitamins A, D, E and K. these are stored in the tissues of the body.
List of Vitamins and What They Do For Your Body
Vitamins are essential for a range of activities and functions in the body. They assist in the various chemical reactions and processes. Here is a list of vitamins, with their functions:
List of Vitamins and What They Are Good For
- Vitamin A: optimal functioning of the immune mechanism, health vision and healthy skin and hair.
- Vitamin B1: metabolic activity and healthy nerves
- Vitamin B2: healthy vision, hair and skin, and normal development of RBCs
- Vitamin B3: synthesis of hormones and metabolic activity
- Vitamin B6: metabolism of proteins and fats, and synthesis of amino acids
- Vitamin B9: synthesis of RBCs
- Vitamin B12: production of RBCs and a healthy nervous system
- Vitamin C: boosting immunity, healthy skin and hair, repair of wear and tear
- Vitamin D: healthy bones and teeth
- Vitamin E: boosting immune and defense mechanisms and healthy reproductive system.
- Vitamin K: blood clotting