Night sweats in the summer is quite normal. On the other hand, sweating profusely, in the night, even during winters may be due to a host of factors.
Night Sweats In Men Over 40 Causes
The following are common causes:
- Andropause: hormonal changes occur after 40 – 45 years.
- The level of testosterone diminishes, consequently, this a manifesting feature.
- Idiopathic Hyperhidrosis: i.e. there is no known cause
- Alcoholism: excessive alcohol intake of alcohol.
- Diseases: night sweats are common in certain medical conditions such as: cancer, T.B., bacterial infections, viral infections, AIDS, etc.
- Stress: is a very common cause. Anxiety, worry, apprehension, fears, all trigger night sweats.
- Diet: consuming excessive amounts of garlic, onions, red meat and spicy foods, especially at night, triggers sweating
- Medicines: certain medicines / drugs are also known to cause night sweating
Night Sweats in Men Over 40 Management
- If you are experiencing night sweats frequently, and every night, or they tend to disturb sleep, it is necessary that you consult a physician.
- Whilst sleeping, always wear light cotton clothes. Make sure that the room is well ventilated.
- Do not consume a heavy meal, just before bed time. Have a light snack, which is not too heavily spiced. Stress management will go a very long way in helping fight the problem.
- Even after lifestyle changes, the problem persists, get yourself examined and investigated, as per your doctor, and identify if there is any underlying medical condition.