Pregnancy Abortion Advantages and Disadvantages
- Abortion is termination of pregnancy by removal of the fetus less than 500gms, either by a choice or by an accident.
- Spontaneous abortion can be due to growth retardation of the embryo, maternal diseases such as diabetes, nephritis with hypertension, listeria or toxoplasma, certain fevers etc.
- Induced abortion is a voluntary abortion as in unwanted pregnancy, trauma, abortions caused due to rape, incest, etc.
- Many countries have the laws on abortion. In some countries there is a restriction or partial restriction, where as in others abortion is legal till birth
Let us get an idea on some of the pros and cons of abortion
Pros of Abortion
- It may be necessary to safeguard the woman’s health.
- Prevent complication arising from pregnancy, if a woman is suffering from diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease etc. A woman should act according to the medical advice.
- Abortion helps the parents to have an option whether they want or do not want a child.
- It also helps to check the family size.
- In situations such as pregnancy arising from rape, or pregnancy in a mentally retarded woman.
Cons of Abortion
- It can be termed as a brutality. Many religions do not agree for abortion, as a person is forbidding the chance of life to a developing fetus.
- It gives the couple a chance to behave in an irresponsible manner.
- Abortion can give rise to medical complications such as recurrent miscarriages, infection, sepsis etc.
- It can have a grave impact on a woman’s mental status. She can become depressed with many other mental illnesses.
Also see Advantages of Braces