Apart from the strong cosmetic appeal that flat abs have, it also proffers medical benefits. Having well-toned abs stabilizes the spine, makes it easier for you lift things, prevents injury and definitely makes you feel confident.
Crunches are the most common and well liked, as well as, most effective upper abdominal exercises for men.
- Lie flat on the floor, and bend your knees, with your feet touching the ground.
- Place your hands behind your head to support the head and neck. Concentrate on the upper abdominal region.
- Now curl your shoulders forwards until the upper portion of your back is raised off the floor. Contract the abdominal muscles as you attempt to raise the upper back. Hold the position for a couple of seconds and then return back to the initial position.
- Begin with 10 crunches and then gradually increase the count and the duration of each crunch.
The Bicycle exercise for abs is well known and exceedingly popular; given that, it gives quick results.
- Lie on your back; interlace your fingers and support your head and neck.
- Bring the knees to the chest and get the shoulder blades off the floor.
- Bring the right elbow to the left knee and repeat for the other side.
- Do about 10 sets,
Upper Abdominal Exercises
Curl up is another very effective abdominal exercise which can be practiced at home, and is rather similar to crunches.
- Lie on the floor, with your knees bent and the feet touching the ground. Place your hands parallel alongside your body.
- Now gradually raise the upper back. You will experience a strong contraction in your upper abdominal region.
- Repeat this five times during one sitting and then gradually raise the count.
Bhujangasana or the Cobra Pose is an excellent yoga posture for the muscles of the abdomen. It effortlessly strengthens the muscles of the upper and lower abdomen, thus getting rid of ‘muffin belly’.
- Lie on your abdomen, keeping your palms close to the chest wall and feet together.
- Inhale and raise the upper portion of your body off the floor. As you do so, arch your spine backwards until you feel a pull on the muscles of the abdomen.
- Hold for a few seconds, then release. Exhale and lower the body back to the floor.
- Do 5 sets.
Lower Abdominal Exercises For Men
Knees up acts well for the lower abs.
- Lie flat on the floor with your thighs perpendicular and feet off the floor.
- Curl your hips towards your lower spine. Lift your knees upwards.
- This exercise will strengthen the obliques and the lower abdominal muscles, making them taut and firm.
The Ball Crunch is also frequently recommended by fitness enthusiasts. It works on the rectus abdominis muscle.
- Sit on the ball in such a way that the lower part of the spine rests on it.
- Interlace your fingers and put them behind the head to support the head and neck.
- Contract the abs to lift your torso off the ball.
- When you curl, ensure that the ball is steady.
- Come back to the original position.
- Do 12 repetitions.