Toenails are made up of keratin, a hard substance. It helps to protect the soft tissue at the end of your toes from daily wear and tear, and friction.
However, accidentally when you stub your toenail very hard against any object, or if any heavy weight falls on your foot there are chances that your toe nails may break.
Football players, athletes, and sport persons are at a greater risk of getting broken toenails or split toenails.
The broken toenail may be extremely painful; it can affect your daily routine and activities. The bleeding may be severe to moderate; it depends on the impact of trauma and how far your toenail is broken.
In some cases, it may require medical attention; others may require simple home remedies, where the damage is not severe.
Broken Toenail Remedies
- Try to determine the extent of damage.
- Clean the area with plain warm water with aseptic precautions; give pressure with a sterilized bandage to stop bleeding.
- Evaluate it after cleaning and as bleeding becomes less.
- Keep your toe taped, so that there is no further injury. Raise your leg when you lie down, it will help to reduce the swelling and pain as well as bleeding.
- Take few ice cubes, crush them and put them in a clean cloth. Now apply it over your toe for 1 to 2 minutes every hour for first few hours. The bleeding will get controlled. Do not apply it for a longer time.
- You can apply aloe vera gel on the area and bandage with sterilized gauze. Do not bandage it too tight or else you may block the blood supply to the toe.
- Every other day remove the dressing and clean the wound and apply fresh aloe vera gel, if there is any swelling, redness and persistent pain, consult your doctor.
Home Treatment For Toenail Problems
- For initial two days avoid walking for a long distance and postpone any strenuous exercise till your toe gets completely healed.
- Wear open sandals or special shoes having free air movement.
- Take one teaspoon of turmeric powder in one glass of milk at night. Turmeric is a natural anti inflammatory, it reduces pain and swelling and help quick healing of the damaged tissue.
- Always observe for sign of infection, such as pain, swelling, redness, in such a case you have to consult your family physician immediately.