There are certain tests, surgeries or medical procedures that require that the patient be given clear liquid diet in the next few hours or days before and/or after the surgery. These food items are very easy to digest and will not leave any residue in the intestinal tract. This diet is also recommended for patients who have certain digestive problems, including vomiting, diarrhea, and nausea.
What does Diet with Clear Liquid Foods Mean
- If the doctor has ordered for the patient to go on a clear liquid diet, there is no good in the patient cheating to eat solid foods. This will only interfere or cause complications in the tests or medical procedures.
- The doctor will often give the patient or caregiver a list of food items that could be given to the patient.
List of Clear Liquid Diet Foods
The following is a list of food items that a patient could take when he/she is asked to go on a clear liquid diet program:
- Tea or coffee as long as these are not added with cream
- Ice pops and ice cream as long as there are no fruit pulps, nuts, or other food items
- Plain gelatin
- Fruit juices as long as these do not have pulp; the best examples are grape juice, apple juice, and cranberry juice
- Broth or soup as long as there are no meat particles
Clear Liquid Diet Recipes
- It is a good thing to vary the food items, especially if the patient has to undergo this clear liquid diet for a number of days.
- Plenty of recipes and combinations may be tried to add variety to the meal.
- For instance, gelatin may be combined with broth and water to make up one meal while the next meal could be of ice pops and fruit juice.