Thick and coarse facial hair growth in women can be extremely embarrassing. It is a constant struggle for them to mask the hairs and / or remove them permanently using various products available in market. Although very difficult to stop facial hair growth, there are certain means and procedures whereby the growth of facial hair can be prevented for a longer duration.
Facial Hair Growth in Women
You may not observe facial hair growth in every woman; in some women it may be fine and light, as compared to others who have thick, coarse hair like men.
More often than not, this happens when the woman is producing large amounts of the male hormone – testosterone. Women suffering from (PCOD) polycystic ovarian disease tend to have a lot of facial hair.
To stop facial growth in women naturally, is not easy; nonetheless, there are certain means that help lighten and minimize their growth.
Waxing, bleaching, electrolysis, laser removals are some of the methods which are used by cosmetologists and dermatologists, but, they are fraught with certain side effects as well.
Home Remedies to Stop Facial Hair Growth
Facial hair growth in women can be retarded by taking vitamin and mineral supplements as well as employing certain natural remedies.
- Vitamin B6: is known to help slow down and prevent facial hair growth in women. It prevents the excessive secretion of prolactin, a hormone responsible for the release of testosterone, which in turn triggers the development of unsightly facial hair in women. A deficiency of vitamin B6 may cause excessive growth of hair on face. Thus. a diet that is rich in vitamin B6 and also taking B6 supplementation will decrease facial hair growth in women naturally. Wheat bran, fortified breakfast cereals, hazelnut, potato, chicken, fish, peanuts, liver, banana etc are rich sources of vitamin B6.
- Vitamin E, copper, magnesium, zinc, and chromium help keep insulin and testosterone levels normal. Include almonds, papaya, turnip, green leafy vegetables, collard greens, blueberries, Swiss chard, garbanzo, broccoli, pumpkin seeds, raw plantain, tofu, etc. in your daily diet.
- A natural herbal remedy – vitus agnus castus also known as chaste tree berry helps to curb the luteinizing hormone, which is responsible for excess facial hair growth in women.
The above mentioned remedies have prescribed to be taken internally, to help regulate the hormonal function in the body. Now let’s look at some of the external measures that can prevent and delay facial hair growth in women:
- Electrolysis: is a procedure wherein the follicle of the hair is destroyed; repeated sessions are necessary since completely preventing hair growth is relatively difficult.
- Facial waxing is another way of dealing with the condition;, it damages the hair follicle and the hair growth is retarded, however, it is a painful procedure but some dermatologists do it very successfully.
- Facial hair can be removed with laser therapy. The hair follicle is destroyed through heat generated by the laser. It is an almost permanent facial hair removal method and is carried out by a dermatologist. On the flip side, it is an expensive procedure.
- Shaving using an epilator is another temporary method of removing facial hair in women.