Human knee is a complex joint, it has many functions to perform such as bearing body weight, and it also aids to keep body mobile with walking, sitting and other different body postures. It is for this reason knee joint requires lot of care to keep them fit.
Knee joint is made up of cartilages, bones, ligaments and tendons; the joint is surrounded by fluid to keep it well lubricated and absorb the mechanical shock caused by different body activities.
Causes Of Water On Knee
While a small amount of fluid is normal for the knee joint, excess of fluid on the knee is a serious indication for some underlying disease.
In medical terminology it is called knee effusion. This excess of fluid can cause joint degradation as time passes.
The accumulation of fluid on the knee can be due to acute cause such as trauma, injury such as fracture, meniscus tear, ligament injury etc. This most often occurs when a person plays sports such as football, tennis etc. The other most important cause is arthritis of the knee joint. Gout and excessive use of knee are other known causes for knee swelling.
Fluid In Knee Symptoms
Symptoms of fluid on knee include:
- Swelling all around the knee.
- Difficult knee joint movements.
- Pain while walking, climbing stairs and various other different activities.
- Stiffness of knee joint.
- In case of septic arthritis, it may turn warm, red and extremely painful.
It is best for you to get a medical checkup in case of fluid on knee; your doctor may suggest fluid removal if the fluid is in excess and you are having pain and difficulty in movement.
Natural Home Remedies For Water On Knee
However at your end when the cause is not serious, you can try several home remedy for fluid on knee.
- Give sufficient rest to the knee and avoid all the strenuous activities. Rest in bed for a week to achieve good recovery.
- Ice fomentation for 10 minutes at a regular interval is beneficial in reducing fluid on knee.
- Elevate your leg, so that the accumulated fluid will disperse naturally from the knee cavity. When you lie down, keep one to two pillows underneath your legs to keep your knee elevated.
- Fortnight after the injury, you should gradually start exercising to make your knee and leg muscle strong. You have to abstain from strenuous exercise, instead consult a physiotherapist; he will guide you to do several physiotherapy knee strengthening exercises. Quadriceps and hamstring stretch is the most effective knee exercise.
- Knee support stockings are also beneficial when you have fluid on knee due to osteoarthritis.
- In case you are suffering from gout, try to avoid foods which increases uric acid in the blood such as legumes, eggs, red meat, beer and alcohol processed foods etc.
- Reduce your weight if you are overweight, obesity affects your knee joint in a long run.
- Include celery and parsley in your food; they are known to drain the body of excess fluids.
- Wrap a compression bandage around the knee. It will support the knee, reduce the swelling and improve circulation.