Native to North America, blueberries are considered among the healthiest fruits around. The fruit belongs to the same family as cranberries and bilberries, and provides you with a host of vital nutrients which have significant health promoting qualities. Not only is the fruit very popular, but it has repeatedly ranked as having one of the highest quantity of antioxidants amongst all fruits, vegetables and spices.
Most clinical trials and research studies on blueberries involve their phyto nutrient content. Anthocyanins – the potent anti oxidant pigment that gives many foods their wonderful shades of red, purple and blue, are the first phyto nutrients to be mentioned in the description of the blueberry and their excellent health promoting properties.
Weight Loss Benefits Of Blueberries
Blueberries are effective in promoting weight loss. They enhance digestion as well as assimilation of food, and also contain enzymes that help the body burn fat faster. Furthermore, blueberries help fight constipation.
They facilitate proper elimination of wastes and cleanse the intestinal tract. They add bulk to the stool, thus helping in its quick expulsion.
The berries help in bowel detoxification and get rid of built-up noxious wastes. This in turn encourages weight loss and healthy weight management.
Benefits Of Blueberries For Healthy Skin
- Blueberries promise you radiant, blemish-free gorgeous skin.
- They are loaded with powerful anti oxidants (anthocyanins); these scavenge and annihilate the harmful free radicals which are known to accelerate the process of skin ageing. Adding a bowl of this berry to your daily diet promises you to stave off the ugly and unwanted signs of ageing and keeps fine lines and wrinkles at bay.
- Blueberries are packed with vitamins A, E, B complex, and C, as well as trace elements like selenium, manganese, and iron. These are essential for skin health.
- The anthocyanins present in the berry keep your skin looking younger and glowing.
- Also, blueberries have been proved to be significantly effective in the successful management of skin allergies.
- Not only can you include blueberries in to your diet, you can use pureed berries for a face mask as well!
Health Benefits Of Eating Blueberries
- Blueberries promote good vision. They are rich in anthocyanins, which are known to stop or slow down vision loss.
- Selenium and vitamins A, B complex, and C, found in abundance in the fruit maintain good brain health.
- Blueberry is rich in dietary fiber, which makes it very good for maintaining cardiovascular health; it helps keep the heart working in a healthy way, sustains normal blood pressure levels and averts clogging of the arteries.
- Keeps blood sugar level in check. Blueberries prevent too much oscillation in the serum glucose levels; thus they are recommended for diabetics.
- Prevent UTI. Blueberries encourage urinary tract health. Similar to cranberries, the blueberries prevent lethal bacteria (E. coli) from getting attached to the lining of the urinary system, and thus help ward off urinary tract infections. Women should include a bowl of the fruit in to their diet; given that, women are a lot more prone to urinary tract infections.
- Blueberries provide you with a burst of energy. Snacking on a bowl in the evening helps battle sluggishness and fatigue effectively.