Hernia is the noticeable bulge of intestine that appears through a weak spot in the abdominal wall. Hernias occur when the abdominal wall muscles become weak, hernia is more common in men than in women. There are different types of hernia, reducible hernia and irreducible hernia. They are named according to their location for e.
Different Types Of Hernia
Various types of hernia are:
- Inguinal hernia; they commonly occur in the region of groin and bulge into the scrotum. An inguinal hernia is most common in men which lead from the abdomen to scrotum.
- Femoral hernia, common in women occurs in femoral canal that is the inner part of the thigh and the groin.
- Umbilical hernia occurs in umbilicus region. Here the intestine bulges out through the weak umbilical wall of the abdomen.
- Incisional hernia occurs at the site of incision due to coughing and internal abdominal pressure.
- Hiatus hernia: here the lowermost portion of the esophagus and the proximal portion of the stomach protrude in the thorax, alongside the esophagus.
Causes Of Hernia
Hernias are often caused due to increased abdominal pressure and when the abdominal wall is weak. Some of the triggering factors for hernia are
- Cough is the most common cause for hernia; especially a smoker is more vulnerable to hernia due to continuous smoking.
- History of hernia in families. Some time hernia is due to hereditary cause.
- Heavy weight lifting is one of the reasons for abdominal hernia. A person lifting constant heavy weight is more prone to hernia. That is the reason people are advised to wear necessary support while lifting heavy weights in gym.
- Obesity is another cause for adnominal hernia.
- Chronic constipation can also cause hernia as a result of straining during bowel activity.
- Premature babies and children having family history of hernia are at a greater risk of developing it, during the early childhood or even at birth.
Symptoms Of Hernia
- The symptoms can be gradual or it can occur suddenly.
- The symptoms depend on the site of hernia.
- In the beginning it may not be noticeable and usually painless.
- With passage of time the size of hernia increases, and the hernia becomes painful.
- The bulge increases in size while you cough or while you lift heavy objects.
- The hernia disappears while you lie down in case of inguinal hernia.
- On some occasions, the inguinal hernia gets strangulated and there is excruciating pain and vomiting. The protruding portion does not reduce on its own; neither reduced with manual procedure. This condition requires an emergency treatment.
Home Treatment Of Hiatal Hernia
Hiatus hernia gives rise to acid reflux disorder. Acid reflux wedge pillow is the best method to relieve the symptoms. Use it while you sleep. It is prepared scientifically for those who suffer from acid reflux disorder due to hiatus hernia. The pillow elevates the head, and upper part of the body while lying down.
The other home remedy which reduces the heart burn symptoms caused due to hiatus hernia is calendula tea. Prepare the tea from calendula flower; it reduces inflammation of the inner lining of esophagus and stomach. Drink a cup of aloe vera juice twice in a day, it helps to relive inflammation.
Blend slippery Elm with chamomile tea. Drink the tea twice in a day. It helps to reduce acid reflux caused due to hiatus hernia.