Sciatic Nerve pain, Sciatic Neuritis, or Sciatica is a collection of symptoms associated with problems of compression on the spinal nerve roots that start the sciatic nerve. It may also be caused by a direct compression or irritation of the nerve itself.
- Sciatic Nerve Pain is usually just felt on side of the body
- The symptoms may be aggravated by prolonged exposure to cold temperatures
- It is one of the most common causes of low back pain as well as leg pain
Symptoms of Sciatica
- Lower back pain
- Pain on various parts of the leg or of the foot
- Numbness or muscle weakness in the leg
- Pain in the buttocks
- Pins and needles sensation with difficulty controlling the affected leg
Sciatic Nerve Pain Causes
There are several causes of sciatic pain, these include:
- Compression of lumbar nerves L4 to L5 or the sacral nerve S1, sacral nerve S2 and sacral nerve S3
- It can also be caused by a compression of the sacral nerve itself
- Spinal Disc Herniation – when the bulge form the herniation is pressing on the sciatic nerve roots.
- Spinal Stenosis – a narrowing of the spinal canal causing compression and increased pressure
- Primiform Muscle Problems – sciatic pain can occur when there is a spasm of the primiform muscles.
- Pregnancy – the uterus can press on the sciatic nerve causing problems
- Patients’ habits – certain habits like standing for prolonged periods of time or sitting on a wallet can cause problems with sciatica.
Home Remedies for Sciatica Nerve Pain
Here are some of the more common effective home remedies for dealing with sciatica.
- Cold compress – placing an ice pack on muscles that are spasm can help get them to relax or at least to numb and cause less pain.
- Resting the back and making sure not to bend it.
- Sleeping on a mattress with the right support – not too soft, not too hard
- Having ergonomic furniture – especially for those who work in the same position for prolonged periods of time.
- Avoid being the same position for too long.
There are also certain herbs that may be helpful in dealing with sciatica, these include:
- Garlic – can be mixed with milk
- Mustard Oil and Garlic
- Aloe – warm aloe pulp if available
- Nutmeg – can act as a pain reliever
- Chamomile – can also help relieve the pain
Sciatic Nerve Pain Relief Exercises
- Certain exercises can help relieve sciatica
- The goal of the exercises is to strengthen the muscles associated with sciatica