Trichomoniasis is a sexually transmitted disease caused by single cell protozoa known as tirchomonas vaginalis. Men and women both can suffer from the disease; however the symptoms are harsher in women. The disease is prevalent worldwide, and there are many new cases registered each year in North America. If the disease is not treated in time, the long term effects of trichmoniasis result into infertility and pelvic inflammation and miscarriages, low weight babies and premature babies.
What Are The Symptoms Of Trichomoniasis?
While both men and women can get affected with the disease, it is women who are more susceptible to harsh symptoms of tirchmoniasis than men, due to the anatomical position of the male reproductive system.
The symptoms appear after one to four weeks of exposure to the protozoa.
Symptoms In Women
- Yellow to green vaginal discharge.
- Bubbly and frothy discharge with a foul odor.
- Swollen vagina and vulva which looks red and inflamed.
- Presence of blood in the discharge.
- Pain while urination and during sexual intercourse.
- Itching in vagina.
- Pain in the lower abdomen, it is present in 10 % of the women.
Symptoms In Men
Men usually are asymptomatic or experience mild symptoms such as, they most often stay as carriers of the infection for a long time if not treated.
- Tingling sensation in the penis.
- Painful urination and ejaculation.
- Mild white discharge from the penis.
How Do You Get Trichomoniasis?
- As mentioned earlier, it is a sexually transmitted disease caused by trichomonas vaginalis; women can contract the infection from the men and women, while male can get infected from the women.
- In men it infects the urethra, the tube from which urine and sperm are passed out. In women the organism infects the vagina, and the urethra.
- Sharing common towel and swimsuits can cause the disease as they can survive outside the body for one hour.
- It can also spread by sharing sex toys. The disease can be diagnosed by culture of the secretions from the vagina and the penis.
Home Remedies For Trichomoniasis
Your doctor may prescribe modern day medicines and antibiotics. Home remedies may accelerate the process of healing in a natural way, either alone or in conjunction with your doctor’s prescription.
- Yogurt contains live lactobacillus, and it protects and enhances the growth of good bacteria in the vagina to counteract the tirchomonias vaginalis organisms. It is also valuable to restore the bacterial flora after the use of antibiotics. It can be added directly to your regular diet, or yogurt can also be used for douching.
- Garlic has antibacterial properties, a clove of garlic chewed daily or garlic in food helps to kill the bacteria.
- Tea tree oil is another natural home remedies for trichomoniasis, it is known for its antibacterial properties. You can use it directly into your vagina as a weak douche. Or you can add few drops of the tea tree oil to your bath water.