Ingrown hair is a common problem faced by many people who have curly hairs. It is condition where the cut end of the hair shaft which has become sharp curls back and ingrows in the same hair follicle. Most often ingrown hair is seen in areas which are frequently shaved, such as face, neck, armpits and bikini line.
You can identify an ingrown hair by its symptoms, however everyone will not be having the same symptoms, and it may differ from one person to another. The area becomes tender and painful; there is itching sensation with pinpoint red bumps on the skin. At the center of the bump, there is a curled hair which you can hardly notice.
What are the Causes of Infected Ingrown Hair
- Coarse and curly hairs.
- When your skin lacks moisture and becomes dry.
- If your hair are stiff.
- Oil is embedded in the hair follicle.
- When the pores and the surface of the skin are clogged with dead skin cells, it causes the hair to grown inwards and sideways. Some people are affected more to this problem than others due to their genetic makeup.
- Improper shaving technique is another main cause for ingrown hairs.
- Waxing and friction due to tight clothing worsens the already curly hairs to grow inwards.
Home Remedies to Treat Infected Ingrown Hair
- When you shave frequently the chances of ingrown hairs are highest, so allow your hairs to grow if the problem is chronic.
- Wet your hairs with warm water prior to shaving, as it softens the skin and the hair.
- An imbedded and ingrown hair is removed with the sterile tweezers or with a sterile needle.
- Shave in the direction of the growth of your hairs; do not shave in the opposite direction of its growth.
- You can use a scrub wash to remove the embedded dead cell of the skin.
- Use an antiseptic soap as an infected ingrown hair home remedy, it moistens the skin and the hair as well as it acts on the infected area of the hair.
- Apply aloe vera gel on the infected ingrown area, due to its anti inflammatory and anti bacterial properties, it reduces the inflammation, soothes the skin and kills the bacteria.