One fine morning you may wake up to find something stuck up in your throat and your voice has become hoarse or rather like a croaking frog. Yes, it is the condition called laryngitis which has made you to whisper in hoarse tone. Laryngitis is inflammation of larynx or the voice box.
Laryngitis can be an acute condition or chronic.
Acute catarrhal laryngitis is often a consequence of upper respiratory infection such as cold and coryza, or due to infectious fevers such as measles. The second most common cause for laryngitis is over use of voice as a singer does during a singing concert, or a professor explaining his students loudly for a long time. It may also be caused due to inhaling irritant gases and air pollution.
Chronic laryngitis occurs as a result of;
- Repeated attacks of acute laryngitis.
- Heavy tobacco smoking.
- Mouth breathing due to nasal obstruction,
- A nodule or a polyp on your voice box.
- GERD or acid reflux may be one of the causes for laryngitis which we commonly miss out. In this condition the stomach acid content comes back into the throat especially when we lie down while we sleep, it may irritate and inflame the voice box.
- Bronchitis and prolonged cough.
What are the Symptoms of Lryngitis
- Throat becomes dry and sore.
- The voice is at first hoarse and then reduced to a whisper.
- In severe form the voice is temporarily lost.
- Pain while you speak.
- Irritating and dry cough.
- Constant urge to clear the throat.
Normally laryngitis is a temporary condition which may last for a week, but if the hoarseness and loss of voice persist for a longer duration you should consult your doctor at the earliest especially if;
- You find breathing trouble.
- If you are a smoker and you find hoarseness and change in voice pitch for a long duration, more than a week.
- Spitting of blood.
- Fever and upper respiratory infection more than five days with loss of voice.
Home Remedy for Laryngitis
- Salt water gargling is best home remedy for laryngitis. Salt water soothes your throat and kills any germs that cause laryngitis. For this use of warm water is necessary, take a glass of warm water and add a pinch of salt. Start gargling after the salt is completely dissolved. Do this several times in a day.
- The voice must be rested completely, this is important in case of public speakers.
- Smoking should be completely stopped.
- Frequent inhalation of steam medicated with eucalyptus oil is useful home remedy for laryngitis.
- Gargle solution prepared from equal amount of water and vinegar three to four times in a day. it helps to kill the germs and acts as a natural antibacterial mouth wash.
- Sip a hot cup of ginger tea mixed with holy basil leaves. This is what you can do for laryngitis when no other remedy is handy.