Our fingers and the knuckles are made up of bones, ligaments and tendons. The tendons help our fingers to move and bend freely, whereas the ligaments keep the finger in a fixed position. There are several conditions which may cause the bones, ligaments of the knuckle become weak or get dislocated.
Causes of Knuckle Pain and Stiffness
There are a host of factors that are responsible for knuckle pain and stiffness. These factors can divided into acute and chronic causative factors,
- Trauma or minor injury resulting in a hairline fracture in the finger bones is the most common acute cause of pain and stiffness in the knuckles.
- Osteoarthritis is another cause for pain and stiffness in the knuckles. Though osteoarthritis of the fingers is relatively rare condition, the condition is associated with degeneration of the joint and the bone tissue due to demineralization.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis is another condition which is associated with pain in the knuckles. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder and is characterized by inflammation of the joint tissue which in turn results in pain and stiffness.
- Very cold weather can result in reduced circulation of blood to the extremities, which in turn can result in pain and stiffness in the knuckles.
- Tendency to repeatedly cracking the knuckles can also result in damage to the bony cartilages which in turn can cause pain and stiffness of the knuckles
- Excessive use of keyboards for typing can result in overuse of the fingers which in turn can also manifest in the form of pain and stiffness.
- Gout and psoriatic arthritis (complication of psoriasis) can also result in pain and stiffness in the knuckles.
In addition to the pain and stiffness in the finger joint, some individuals may also experience minor edema or swelling, which is often indicative of an inflammatory process.
Home Remedies for Knuckle Pain and Stiff Fingers
There is effective way to treat knuckle pain and stiffness while you determine the cause with your doctor.
- Soak your hands in warm salt water for 15 minutes. This will relieve you from the aches and pains and stiffness of your knuckles and fingers. Salt is an ancient home remedy for absorbing the pain from the body.
- Do not constantly crack your finger joints as there is a risk of damaging the bony cartilage.
- Apply hot and cold compresses on the finger joints.
- Apply aloe vera on the finger, it will help to soothe the knuckle pain and finger stiffness.
- When you have acute pain and stiffness of finger and knuckle joint, avoid eating eggs, red meat, processed foods, as they are known to worsen the pain especially in case of rheumatoid arthritis and gout.
- Massage of the hands is an effective in relieving the knuckle pain and stiffness of finger.
- Physiotherapy, magneto therapy can relieve a lot the sufferings in those suffering from knuckle pain and finger stiffness.
- Homeopathic drugs like Bryonia and Rhus Tox are beneficial in the management of pain and stiffness of the knuckles