Since 1970’s laser surgery has gained importance in treating joint’s, especially knees and shoulder. With advancement in surgical techniques and modernization of laser instruments, laser back surgery became an effective alternative to open surgery of spine.
The spine is an extremely important organ, it keeps us upright, helps in various body movements, protects the spinal cord etc.
People suffering from chronic backache, and neck pain and relative spinal problems may have to undergo spinal surgery. For years, spine surgery was a lengthy procedure. The time required for the surgery, stay in the hospital, and recuperating time were long. With laser back surgery this laborious procedure was less painful and less time consuming with good post operative results.
In laser back surgery, a small incision is made at the required site by the operating doctor. Tiny tube is inserted through this incision; it dilates the skin and the underlying muscles without tearing them.
Various Laser Back Surgery Procedures Followed all Over the World
- Laminectomy: procedure used for herniated disc, removing nerve compression, spinal stenosis, and spinal arthritis.
- Foraminotomy: used for foraminal stenosis, nerve root compression.
- Percutaneous arthroscopic disectomy: removes pressure on spinal cord and nerve roots.
- Facet thermal ablation: the procedure is meant to treat facet disease.
Advantages of Laser Back Surgery
- Small incision, performed under local anesthesia.
- Short time for the procedure.
- Less damage to muscles and soft tissue.
- Minimal blood loss.
- Less scar formation.
- Quick recovery time.
- Less risk and complications.
- Less hospital stay and less recuperating days at home.
Laser back surgery cost: Laser spine surgery average cost is $20000 to $30000.