Low grade fever is a common complaint for parents and their kids. The condition itself is not serious, but it is important to figure out and treat the cause of the condition.
- A fever is generally considered low grade when it is between 99F and 100.9F or 37.3C to 38.3C
- A common grade fever is one that measures 101F to 103.5F or 38.4C to 39.7C
- High grade fever is any fever that goes beyond 103.6F or 39.8C
- Normal temperature is between 97 and 99F or 36C to 37.2C
Temperature ranges will vary from source to source, but a low grade fever is usually one that is above normal but does not go beyond 101F.
Accompanying Symptoms of Low Temperature in Children
Low grade fever does not usually appear on its own in kids and is usually accompanied by other symptoms including:
- Runny Nose
- Sore Throat
Causes and Treatment
Infections are the most common cause of low grade fever in kids and these usually include bacterial infections. They include:
- Bladder Infections – UTI usually
- Rubella – German Measles
- Fifth Disease
- Dengue Fever
The treatment methods for low grade fever are:
- Antipyretics – Drugs that lower body temperature and bring them back to normal
- Tepid Sponge Bath – A cool water bath that is designed to lower temperature.
- These baths can be done at home
- Target areas for the bath are the major arteries of the body
- The main goal of the bath is to cool down the body temperature without causing the patient to feel too cold.
The above methods treat only the fever itself, it will not treat what is causing the fever.
Low Grade Fever in Children Persistent
- If fever is persistent or if it comes and goes, it could be the symptom of a serious disease, dengue included.
- Persistent fevers could also be a sign of a low grade infection