You may come across many persons having nasal congestion or blocked nose as a result of common cold. Some other reasons for nasal congestion are food allergies, pollen allergies, nasal polyps, deviated nasal septum, viral diseases etc.
Nasal Congestion Causes
The inner lining of the nose is made up of mucus membrane, and vast network of tiny capillaries.
Nasal congestion makes your breathing difficult and uncomfortable while you sleep as well as when you are awake. Often due to nasal blockage, a person breathes through mouth. Infants and children suffering from repeated nasal congestion can have hearing difficulty, speech problems. Snoring in adults is usually due to nasal congestion.
Home Remedies For Nasal Congestion
Having said all this, nasal congestion can be brought under control with simple home remedies, and that too without drowsiness which most modern medicines can produce.
Following are the home remedies for nasal congestion:
- When you are suffering from nasal congestion it is necessary to drink enough water, so that you are well hydrated.
- Steam inhalation is an effective nasal congestion home treatment. The only thing you require is a bowl full of water, few drops of eucalyptus oil. Boil the water; when it starts to steam remove the vessel from stove, now add few drops of eucalyptus oil and hold your head over the steam. You can cover your head with a towel to trap the steam. Inhale it for ten minutes; you will feel relief after some time. Regularly follow this procedure once or twice in a day.
- Chamomile tea helps to reduce inflammation of the nasal mucus membrane. It is also effective against viruses and bacteria. Drink hot cup of chamomile tea when you suffer from viral nasal congestion.
Natural Cures For Blocked Nose
- Garlic soup is an old remedy to reduce nasal congestion. The oil contained in garlic helps to open the nasal blockage. The other alternate way is to take 5 drops of garlic oil, a teaspoon of onion juice add it to a cup of water. Drink the mixture two times when you are suffering from acute cold.
- Place a handkerchief near your nose after sprinkling it with four to five drops of peppermint oil.
- Raised histamine level is associated with nasal congestion, vitamin C reduces histamine levels. Therefore eat fruits and vegetables containing this vitamin. Oranges, lemon juice, tomato, celery, broccoli, green leafy vegetables etc.
- Drink a cup of Echinacea tea; the herb increases body’s defensive mechanism by accelerating the production of white blood cells. It helps the body to fight bacteria and viruses.
- If the congestion is due to nasal polyps, take a teaspoon of grated horseradish and two teaspoon of honey together. It eliminates nasal polyps if you take it regularly for some time.