A smelly or stinky foot is a common complaint with lots of people. Excessive foot perspiration is the most common cause, the reason being the presence of many sweat glands in the feet.
Sweat, by itself is odorless, however, when it comes on the surface of the skin, the bacteria that are present on the skin, feed on the sweat and emit waste products.
Home Remedies For Smelly Feet
Anti bacterial soap
- Wash your feet with an anti bacterial soap, at least 3 to 5 times daily. These soaps destroy the bacteria, check bacterial products and prevent stinky feet.
Apply powder to your feet
- Powder helps eliminate foot odor. Sprinkle powder in the shoes or apply it on the feet when wearing sandals.
- Immerse your feet in bucket filled with green tea; it kills the bacteria that cause smelly feet.
- Zinc deficiency is a common cause for stinky feet. Doctors recommend zinc supplementation, about 50mg per day. Ensure that you consume loads of foods that supply zinc: peas, walnuts, shellfish, dairy products, cashews, lima beans, ginger, etc.
- Add ½ a cup of vinegar to a tumbler of warm water and soak your feet for 20 minutes. It is a very effective cure.
Causes Of Smelling Feet
The principal cause of foot odor is bacteria. Our feet too perspire. Despite the fact that sweat is odorless, the bacteria that grow on the feet release certain bacterial waste products; and it is these products discharged by them that produce an offensive odor.
Most of the time, feet are enclosed in socks and shoes, these conditions are perfect for the multiplication of bacteria, thus triggering the problem.
Putting on the socks, without drying the feet properly also gives rise to bacteria and cause stinky feet.
Other causes include too much stress and side effects of some medications.
How To Get Rid Of Stinky Feet?
- Wear black cotton socks
Wearing clean socks is essential to fight foot odor. Wear cotton socks, don’t opt for synthetic materials. Synthetic materials do not absorb any sweat. Cotton socks, especially black cotton socks, have good moisture absorbing capacity. It helps the skin to breathe and prevents smelly feet.
- Do not wear shoes without socks
When you do not wear socks, sweat released is soaked by the shoes. This makes the shoes and feet offensive smelling.
- Change socks daily
Make sure that you wear clean, washed socks daily. Unclean and unwashed socks result in offensive, smelly feet too. Hence, hygiene is of the utmost importance.
- Essential oils
Essential oils like, sage, lavender, bergamot and tea tree are very effective for foot odor. They exert anti bacterial properties, and give the pleasant odor to the feet all day. They reduce perspiration and prevent bacterial multiplication and release of bacterial products. Apply a layer of one of these essential oils on your feet every day.