Swollen Eyes From Crying?
The tissue surrounding the eyes can swell after a bout of crying. This is because fluid is drawn towards these tissues when a person cries.
The sodium that is found in the tears attract water towards the tissue around the eye
- Puffiness can last up to 2 or 4 hours
- People who sleep after crying will wake up with swollen eyes because the eyelids were not moving during sleep.
- The eye itself is not the one that is swollen here, but it is instead the tissue surrounding it.
Swollen Eyes From Crying Remedy
Here are some tried and tested home remedies for swollen eyes from crying.
When a person has been crying, it is a good idea to delay sleep a bit until the swelling in the eyes have gone down somewhat.
Increasing Fluid Intake
This helps to relieve the edema and the swelling
Prevent the Swelling from Worsening
One of best ways of how to treat swollen eyes from crying has to do with prevention.
- Right after a good cry or in the middle of it, individuals should consciously avoid rubbing or touching the eye area too much.
- Applying slight pressure on the eyes helps to keep the edema down.
Cooling down the area around the eye helps to reduce swelling.
- Individuals can splash cool water onto their face
- Moistened and cooled teabags and cooled cucumber slices may also be used. Cool slices of potatoes may also be used.
- Cooling down the eye area will help to reduce the swelling by constricting blood vessels
Applying eye creams specific for treating eye puffiness can be applied
- Some people also see benefits from using hemorrhoid creams on the swollen tissue
When in a hurry or when the other treatments fail, individuals can make use of coverage in the form of shades or makeup to hide the swelling or to make it less noticeable until it goes down.