Bed bugs are small, parasitic, nocturnal insects that feed on human blood. Their size makes it very tricky to locate them. They usually hide in bed spreads, mattresses and travel bags. A bed bug bite causes a skin allergy and results in a red, inflamed, and itchy skin.
What are the Symptoms of Bed Bug Bites
The symptoms and clinical features become apparent about 1 hour after the bite.
A rash breaks out on the body. The rash depends up on our body’s reaction to the chemicals present in the bug’s saliva. The rash looks like a small, round, red bump. It gradually spreads all over the body.
Occasionally, some people develop anaphylaxis. A severe life threatening condition can occur, wherein emergency medical treatment is crucial.
How to Get Rid Of Bed Bug Bites
- Essential oils: essential oils such as tea tree oil and lavender oil are particularly useful in managing bed bug bites.
- Mint: add mint leaves to your bath water, it relieves the rash promptly. Herbal mint tea is also recommend, it ameliorates the symptoms successfully.
- Black pepper, cayenne pepper and walnut: are equally effective in treating bed bugs bites.
Treatment of Bed Bug Bites
No amount of treatment of the bed bug bites can be beneficial, unless and until, you treat the multiplication and growth of the parasites. It is very vital to put an end to their infestation. Therefore, maintain a clean and hygienic environment in and around your home. It reduces the risk factors to a great extent. The following measures help get rid of bed bugs from your home:
- First and foremost, remove all bed spreads, cushion covers, rugs and comforters; and wash them in very hot water. This kills the bugs and the eggs effectively.
- Vacuum the furniture, mattresses, beds, and the carpets.
- Using scented sheets to cover mattresses and sofas repels the bed bugs efficiently.
- Furthermore, wash the floors and walls with a bleaching agent to destroy the bed bugs.
- Wipe the walls, furniture and floors with sprayed alcohol; it effectively kills the bed bugs and also eliminates their eggs.
- Cover the legs of your furniture with duct tape; such that, the sticky surface is facing outwards, so that it exterminates and repels the bed bugs.
- Keep your beds, luggage, and clothes in the hot sun for a couple of hours.
- Place sachets of lavender essential oil all around the home, they help to repel bed bugs and prevent infestation.