It is not uncommon for pregnant women to get sick or develop infections while their babies are still in their office. Though it is relatively treatable, throat infections can prescribe the use of medicine that may cause harm to the body, including the infant’s.
What are the Causes of Throat Infection During Pregnancy
- Strep throat is characterized by the entry of the Streptococcal bacteria into the throat lining and other nearby organs.
- It penetrates into the lining of the mucus membrane, affecting the larynx, tonsils and the pharynx.
- Symptoms associated with strep throat are fever, swollen tonsils, swelling around the neck, loss of appetite, excessive perspiration and enlargement of lymph nodes.
Reasons for Throat Burning Sensation During Pregnancy
- Pregnant women often experience heartburn, often indicated by a feeling of a large lump or a burning sensation on the throat.
- Heartburn is caused by variations in the production of hormones during pregnancy.
- Progesterone has the tendency to soften the valve that shuts down the backflow of stomach acid into the esophagus. When this happens, the person experienced irritation in the throat.
Natural Home Remedies For Throat Infection During Pregnancy
- Because pregnant women cannot take medications that may affect the development of the child, home remedies can offer relief from the throat infection.
- Gargle with warm saline water to kill the bacteria that caused the strep throat.
- Drink a warm concoction of ginger boiled in water to feel immediate relief.
- Chamomile or lemon tea can relieve the discomfort of a sore throat.
- Frequent heartburn symptoms can be stopped by eating yogurt or milk.
- Avoid eating too much spicy foods that can exacerbate the irritation.